Biscotti are twice-baked Italian cookies, delicious when dunked in coffee.
Author: SACO Pantry
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 3 dozen cookies
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 oz whole almonds or hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two baking sheets.
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In medium mixing bowl lightly beat together eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing on low speed until well-combined.
- Add nuts and continue mixing until combined.
- Shape dough into 3 logs (dough will be sticky—wetting your hands will help), and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Logs should be ¾ inch thick and 3½ to 4 inches wide.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes.
- Slice logs on the diagonal ½ inch thick, using serrated-edge knife.
- Place slices on baking sheets, cut side down, and return to a 325°F oven.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Turn cookies over and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool before packing in airtight container.
- Cookies will be very hard and will keep several weeks at room temperature.
- If desired, cookies can be dipped halfway in melted chocolate, chilling briefly to harden chocolate if necessary.
Calories: 120 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 11g Sodium: 53mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 27mg