IRISH SODA BREAD
Serves: 1 loaf
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease one 1½-quart round casserole dish.
- In large mixing bowl sift together flour, Buttermilk Blend, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Beat the eggs separately. Remove 1 Tbsp and reserve.
- Stir remaining beaten eggs and water into flour mixture, until flour is just moistened.
- Do not overbeat. (Dough should be sticky.)
- Turn dough out onto well-floured surface and knead lightly 15 seconds (about 10 times).
- Shape dough into ball and place in prepared casserole dish.
- In the center of the ball, cut a 4-inch cross about ¼ inch deep with a sharp knife.
- Brush dough with reserved 1 Tbsp. of egg.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until wooden toothpick tests done.
- Cool in casserole dish 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on rack.
Calories: 225 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 6g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 31g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 393mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 25mg